Tuesday, February 8, 2011

First Assignment Review (Jonathan Chau)

In general I think all his photographs have a strong elements of color and composition. The first image of the black swirl (wire), I think forces the viewer to move through the picture towards the center. The second image of the Buddha, the books slashing across on the right side I think is a good composition element, with the Buddha statue on the left creating a triangular shape. The third image of the gutter pipe, the strongest element of this picture is the water exiting the pipe, which leads the viewer to the bottom corner. I think this picture has an element of movement, with the water that is captured during mid fall. I like the 4th picture out of all the others. I like how the picture is framed as the triangle is formed. The tree emerging out of the right side, I think balances out the image.

I think the image of the yellow bar with the icicles forming could be interpreted in an abstract way. It’s difficult to understand how long the yellow bar is and when it ends. The icicles are also a strange (sharp) shape, which look like they are growing out of the yellow bar.

I think the strongest image is the one with the yellow bar with the icicles. I think it has strong composition with the bar coming in from the top right corner but it ends (continues) out of the frame. The leg that seems to be holding up the bar creates a triangle. The black background against the icicles, I think allows the icicles to stay sharp.

Image of the three trees in contact sheet 1, I think has a lot of potential. I like how the trees decrease in height and the fence that cuts through the image. And the white background allows the black trees to standout.

No comments:

Post a Comment